(born 1948 - ) - Born London but now Bearsden, Glasgow
Born in North London, Julia Donaldson now lives and works in Glasgow. While studying French and Drama at Bristol University, she met her future husband. During the 1960s, Donaldson and her husband toured Europe, busking to make ends meet. Her songs, often made up in the language she was visiting, lead to a career as a singer songwriter for children's TV.
A Squash and a Squeeze, one of her songs, was published as a picture book in 1993, but it wasn't until the publication of The Gruffalo that Donaldson hit the big time. Illustrated by Axel Scheffer, The Gruffalo remains the UK's best-selling picture book, and has been translated worldwide (including into Scots Gaelic).
Donaldson has written over 70 books, many specifically for the school and education markets, as well as novels, plays and picture books. She regularly performs at book festivals and theatres, and for three years was the writer-in-residence at Easterhouse, Glasgow.
In 2011, Julia Donaldson was appointed the UK's Children's Laureate for a two-year term. She was also awarded an MBE for her services to literature.
- Add to BasketThe Giants And The Joneses - Paperback
Jumbeelia, a girl giant, loves the story of the iggly plop who climbed the bimblestonk and was chased back down by a giant. So she grows her own bimblestonk and climbs down it - there she finds her own world of iggly plops.
- The Gruffalo - Paperback
This is a rhyming story of a mouse and a monster. Little mouse goes for a walk in a dangerous forest. To scare off his enemies he invents tales of a fantastical creature called the Gruffalo. So imagine his surprise when he meets the real Gruffalo.
- Add to BasketThe Gruffalo's Child - Hardback
The Gruffalo said that no gruffalo should ever set foot in the deep dark wood. But one wild and windy night, the Gruffalo's child ignores her father's warning and tiptoes out into the snow. After all, the Big Bad Mouse doesn't really exist - does he?
- Add to BasketHippo Has A Hat - Paperback
There's chaos in the clothes shop when the animals go on a shopping spree. Zebra's zip is stuck and Toad's tracksuit is far too big, but Flamingo finds a stylish bag, and Caterpillar's shoes are really cool.
- The Magic Paintbrush - Paperback
As Shen plays and draws pictures in the sand, a mysterious man gives her a magic paintbrush. She paints fish, pots and ladders and watches them come to life for the poor people in her village. But when the Emperor hears of this, how can Shen outwit his greedy plans?
- Night Monkey, Day Monkey - Paperback
This book tells of two monkeys whose worlds are as different as night and day and how they come to learn of each other's opposite worlds and learn to be the best of friends.
- A Squash And A Squeeze - Paperback
'A Squash and a Squeeze' is a rhyming fable that tells of a little old lady who thinks her home is too small. A wise man tells her to take in a succession of animals so that it really is a squash in the house!
- Add to BasketStick Man - Hardback
'Stick Man lives in the family tree with his Stick Lady Love and their stick children three'. But it's dangerous being a Stick Man. A dog wants to play with him, a swan builds her nest with him. He even ends up on a fire! Join Stick Man on his troublesome journey back to the family tree.
- Tiddler - Paperback
Every day Tiddler is late for school, and every day he has another tall tale for his teacher. But did he really ride a seahorse? Did he really meet a mermaid? And who will believe him when he really does get captured in a net? All children will identify with this little fish with a very big imagination!
- Add to BasketWhat The Ladybird Heard - Paperback
Two crafty robbers, one tiny ladybird, and a whole farmyard of fun. Hefty Hugh and Lanky Len have a cunning plan to steal the farmer's fine prize cow. The tiny ladybird has a plan of her own.
- Add to BasketZog - Hardback
Zog is the keenest dragon in school. He's also the most accident-prone. Luckily, a mysterious little girl always comes by and patches up his bumps and bruises. But will she be able to help him with his toughest test - capturing a princess?
- A Squash and a Squeeze (1993)
- The Gruffalo - 1999
- Monkey Puzzle (2000)
- Arthur y Postman (Storiau Llwyn y Mes) (2001)
- Follow the Swallow (2001)
- Room on the Broom - 2001
- Night Monkey, Day Monkey - 2002
- The Smartest Giant in Town - 2002
- Spinderella - 2002
- The Dinosaur's Diary (2003)
- The Magic Paintbrush - 2003
- The Spiffiest Giant in Town (2003)
- Conjuror Cow (2003)
- Princess Mirror-Belle (2003)
- Brick-a-breck (2003)
- The Snail and the Whale - 2003
- The Wrong Kind of Bark - 2004
Sharing a Shell (2004)
- The Giants and the Joneses - 2004
- One Ted Falls Out Bed (2004)
- The Gruffalo's Child - 2004
- Smartest Giant (2004)
- Worm Looks for Lunch (2005)
- Princess Mirror-Belle 2 (2005)
- Rosie's Hat (2005)
- Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Goose - 2005
- Charlie Cook's Favourite Book - 2005
- The Jungle House - 2005
- Hippo Has A Hat - 2006
- The Pot of Gold - 2007
- Stick Man - 2008
- Tiddler - 2008
- What The Ladybird Heard - 2010
- Zog - 2010
- Wriggle And Roar!: Rhymes to Join in with (2004)
- Crazy Mayonnaisy Mum (poems) (2004)
- All Aboard (1995)
- Problem Page: A Play (2000)
- Bombs And Blackberries: A World War Two Play (2003)
- The Head in the Sand: A Roman Play (2003)
- The Trial of Wilf Wolf (2003)