(born 1939 -) - Gourock, near Glasgow
Although she was born in Gourock, and attended the Edinburgh College of Art, the highlands and islands of Scotland have always been Mairi Hedderwick's true home. She took her first job, as a mother's help, on the Isle of Coll in the Hebrides aged just 17. In 1962 she settled on Coll, where she raised her family and taught art at primary school. Her first home on Coll had no electricity or running water, and the nearest neighbour lived two miles away.
Mairi Hedderwick is the author and illustrator of the much loved Katie Morag series of children's books. The first Katie Morag book, Katie Morag Delivers the Mail, was published in 1984. Although Katie lives on the fictional island of Struay, it is clearly inspired by Coll, and Katie's adventures come from Mairi's own experiences. The Katie Morag stories are now being animated for a children's TV series. Hedderwick continues to write the stories; the most recent, Katie Morag and the Dancing Class, was published in 2007.
The Katie Morag Stories
- Add to BasketThe Big Katie Morag Storybook - Paperback
This is a fabulous gift book to delight Katie Morag fans old and new. This bumper collection contains brand-new stories, along with sea-shanties and recipes, painting a wonderful picture of daily life on Katie Morag's island of Struay.
- Katie Morag And The Big Boy Cousins - Paperback
The islanders are dismayed when the badly-behaved big boy cousins come to stay. But Katie thinks they are wonderful and joins with them in causing havoc in the village. But when Grannie gets angry Katie feels sad and sorry.
- Katie Morag And The Birthdays - Paperback
Katie Morag is desperate for it to be her birthday, but as she soon discovers, there are plenty of other birthdays to be celebrated on Struay both before and after hers.
- Katie Morag And The Dancing Class - Paperback
Katie Morag has better things to do on a Saturday morning than go to dancing class, but Grannie Island says ballet will be good for her coordination and Granma Mainland longs to see her in a pretty dress and her new pink pumps, instead of those dreadful wellies.
- Katie Morag And The Grand Concert - Paperback
Katie Morag's two uncles, both world-famous musicians, arrive on the island for a grand concert. When one loses his voice, it is up to Katie Morag to save the day. This lively text looks at child-based themes of personal safety and feeling shy.
Katie's nose has been put distinctly out of joint by the arrival of a new baby sister, and in a temper she throws her teddy into the sea. It takes a stay at Grannie Island's and the discovery of teddy among the seaweed to get her back on an even keel.
- Katie Morag And The Two Grandmothers - Paperback
Grannie Island and Granma Mainland are like chalk and cheese - but ever resourceful Katie Morag finds an un-ewe-sual way of helping them understand each other better.
- Katie Morag And The Wedding - Paperback
Romance has been brewing on the island between Neilly Beag and Granma Mainland and everyone is thrilled when they announce they are to be married. Everyone, that is, except Grannie Island. But Granma Mainland has a surprise in store for Grannie Island, one that makes her very happy indeed!
- Katie Morag Delivers The Mail - Paperback
When Katie Morag delivers the mail, the mail gets in a bit of a muddle. It's a good job Grannie Island's around to help sort it out!
- Add to BasketKatie Morag's Island Stories - Paperback
Containing the first four Katie Morag stories, this picture book omnibus is suitable for children aged three and upwards.
- Add to BasketMore Katie Morag Island Stories - Paperback
Whether she is getting excited about the new pier, trying to cheer up Grannie Island in time for Granma Mainland's big day, singing naughty songs at the Grand Concert or solving riddles to get back in everyone's good books, Katie Morag is always up to something.
Other Books by Mairi Hedderwick
- Add to BasketAn Eye On The Hebrides: An Illustrated Journey - Paperback
Mairi Hedderwick's 'An Eye on the Hebrides' is a personal and unique record of her six-month solitary journey through the beautiful archipelago which forms the Western Isles of Scotland and has established itself as one of Scotland's best-sellers.
- Add to BasketHighland Journey: A Sketching Tour Of Scotland - Paperback
In 1876 the Victorian artist John Reid travelled around the Highlands and created a pictorial record of his journey. In this text, Mairi Hedderwick follows in his footsteps and creates her own pictorial record of the same journey.
- Add to BasketThe Last Laird Of Coll - Paperback
Reveals both the beauty of the island as well as the harshness of island life and the incredible story of how the laird inherited an estate burdened with debt, spending his life trying to rebuild a livelihood from it.
- Oh No, Peedie Peebles! - Paperback
The Peebles family have decided to brighten up their house. Each room is to be a different colour of the rainbow. Peedie has strict instructions not to pick up a paintbrush but he decides to take the matter of painting his room into his own hands!
- Peedie Peebles' Summer Or Winter Book - Paperback
A delightful lift the flap book for small children, beautifully illustrated by author, Mairi Hedderwick, featuring the engaging exploits of toddler, Peedie Peebles.
- Add to BasketSea Change: The Summer Voyage From East To West Scotland Of The Anassa - Hardback
In 'Sea Change', writer and illustrator Mairi Hedderwick embarks on a six-week summer voyage from the east to the west of Scotland in the antique teak, 26-foot long cruising yacht 'The Anassa', sailing through the Caledonian Canal and visiting, among others, Loch Linnhe, Loch Etive, Lochs Ailort, Moidart, Nevis and Leven.
- Add to BasketShetland Rambles: A Sketching Tour Retracing The Footsteps Of Victorian Artist John T. Reid - Paperback
'Shetland Rambles' is a poignant journey through the islands by one of Scotland's best loved authors and illustrators.
- The Utterly Otterleys - Paperback
New characters from the creator of Katie Morag, the Utterly Otterley family live in a cosy burrow near the river where everything is just about perfect. Until Pa Utterly Otterley wakes up one morning and decides it's time to find a new home.
Katie Morag Books
- Katie Morag Delivers the Mail - 1984
- Katie Morag and the Two Grannies
- Katie Morag and the New Pier
- Katie Morag and the Wedding
- Katie Morag and the Big Boy Cousins
- Katie Morag and the Grand Concert
- Katie Morag and the Tiresome Ted
- The Second Katie Morag Storybook - 2000
- Katie Morag and the Riddles - 2001
- Katie Morag's Rainy Day Book - 2001
- Katie Morag's Island Stories - 2003
- Katie Morag Of Course! - 2003
- More Katie Morag Island Stories - 2004
- Katie Morag and the Birthdays - 2005
- Katie Morag and the Dancing Class - 2007
Other Children's Books
- On No, Peedie Peebles!
- A Walk With Grannie - 2003
- The Utterly Otterleys - 2006
- Peedie Peebles' Summer or Winter Book - 2011