Writer, broadcaster and storyteller Stuart McHardy has long been interested in Scotland's cultural heritage, from Pictish prehistory to contemporary folklore and music. As a storyteller he performs regularly across Scotland, and appears at many book festivals. As an author he has written of various Celtic, mythological and Pictish subjects - and on his other loves, whisky and beer.
McHardy was Director of the Scots Language Resource Centre from 1993 to 1998, and is a founder member of the Pictish Arts Society. He lives in Edinburgh.
- Edinburgh And Leith Pub Guide - Paperback
A guide to Edinburgh and Leith's drinking establishments. It rates each venue on price, drink selection, atmosphere, food, and clean toilets.
This text presents a history of the Picts. New historical analysis, recently discovered evidence and an innovative Scottish perspective exposes long held assumptions about the native people.
- Add to BasketOn The Trail Of The Holy Grail - Paperback
Scholars have long known that the Grail is essentially legendary, a mystic symbol forever sought by those seeking Enlightenment, a quest in which the search is as important as the result. This work traces the origin of the idea of fertility and regeneration back beyond the time of the Celtic warrior tribes of Britain.
- Add to BasketThe Pagan Symbols Of The Picts: The Symbology Of Pre-Christian Belief - Hardback
Stuart McHardy examines the Pictish symbols which have been discovered on various items across Scotland. The book sets out a cohesive interpretation of the Pictish past, using a variety of both temporal and geographical sources.
- Add to BasketThe Quest For Arthur - Hardback
Having left no stone unturned in his search for the truth, the author provides an exploration of King Arthur's contribution to Scottish history. The author may indeed have proved that Arthur was a Scot.
- Add to BasketThe Quest For The Nine Maidens - Hardback
Stuart McHardy investigates the widespread phenomenon of the nine maidens - druidesses, seeresses, saints, spirit beings and priestesses of the Mother Goddess.
- Add to BasketSchool Of The Moon: The Highland Cattle-Raiding Tradition - Paperback
The practice of stealing cattle was beloved by Scottish Highland warriors, who like nothing better than raiding the stocks of fellow clans before riding off under the cover of darkness. This title traces the tradition, shedding new light on what life was like in the Scottish Highlands in the years after Culloden.
- Add to BasketSpeakin O Dundee: Tales Lang Tellt Aroun The Toun - Paperback
This beautifully written collection of stories is entirely written in Scots as spoken in Dundee. Short and easy to read, their style is loyal to the traditional way of storytelling.
- Tales Of Edinburgh Castle - Paperback
Stuart McHardy paints a vivid picture of Scotland's most famous castle in bygone times and of the rich and varied characters to whom it owes its notoriety.
Nessie is certainly the most famous myth surrounding Loch Ness but she is not the only one. Find out more about this magical place with stories, myths and legends to delight and entertain.
- Tales Of Whisky - Paperback
Whether dodging the men of excise, fighting with government troops or simply indulging in a spot of the national sport of drinking whisky, Scots have long had a love affair with their favourite amber nectar. In this book Stuart McHardy draws upon tales associated with the tipple to make you laugh, cry and wonder.
- Strange Stories of Ancient Scotland - 1989
- Tales of Whisky and Smuggling - 1992
- The Wild Haggis an the Greetin-faced Nyaff - 1995
- Scotland: Myth, Legend and Folklore - 1999
- The Quest for the Nine Maidens - 2000
- Edinburgh and Leith Pub Guide - 2001
- Scots Poems to be Read Aloud - 2001
- The Quest for Arthur - 2001
- MacPherson's Rant - 2004
- The Silver Chanter - 2004
- On The Trail of Scotland's Myths and Legends - 2004
- School of the Moon - 2004
- Tales of the Picts - 2005
- The Well of the Heads - 2005
- On The Trail of the Holy Grail - 2006
- The White Cockade - 2006
- Tales of Edinburgh Castle - 2007
- Tales of Loch Ness - 2008
- A New History of the Picts - 2010
- Tales of Whisky - 2010
- Speakin' O Dundee - 2010
- The Battle of Prestonpans - 2010
- Tales of Scottish Landmarks - 2011
- Scotland the Brave Land - 2012
- Tales of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobites - 2012
- Arthur's Seat;Journeys and Evocations with Donald Smith - 2012
- Pagan Symbols of the Picts - 2012