British & Irish History: C 1500 To C 1700
BIC code: HBCL
See also: History & Archaeology
- Hardback - Weidenfeld & Nicolson
In 'Fatal Rivalry' George Goodwin captures the vibrant Renaissance splendour of the royal courts of England and Scotland, with their wealth, innovation and artistic expression. He shows how two powers on one island forced themselves to war.
- Add to BasketFamine In Scotland: The 'Ill Years' Of The 1690s
- Hardback - Edinburgh University Press
This book examines the climatic and economic origins of the last national famine to occur in Scotland, the nature and extent of the crisis which ensued, and what the impact of the famine was upon the population in demographic, economic and social terms.
- Add to BasketA Floating Commonwealth: Politics, Culture, And Technology On Britain's Atlantic Coast, 1860-1930
- Hardback - Oxford University Press
This portrait of society and identity in high industrial Britain focuses on the sea as connector, not barrier, and argues that the port cities and their hinterlands formed a 'floating commonwealth' whose interaction with one another and with nationalist and imperial politics created an intense political and cultural synergy.
- Add to BasketFlodden 1513: Scotland's Greatest Defeat
- Paperback - Osprey
The Scottish and English armies clashed on 9 September 1513 at Flodden. Recognized as the greatest Scottish defeat in history, it resulted in the death of Scotland's king. This title examines the battle, the different tactics of the opposing armies and the personalities of the commanders.
- Add to BasketFrom The Bloody Heart: The Stewarts And The Douglases
- Hardback - Sutton
This is the story of the saga between the Stewart and the Douglas families in early medieval Scotland, who grew in power and influence but remained locked in a bitter feud.
- Paperback - Tempus
Flodden is one of the most infamous battles between the Scots and the English. This book combines diplomatic history and an appreciation of the new weapons of war in a fresh account of the battle, in which Scotland suffered its greatest defeat.
- Add to BasketFeuds, Forays And Rebellions: History Of The Highland Clans, 1475-1625
- Paperback - Edinburgh University Press
This history of the Highland clans describes the fragmentation of Clan Donald and its vassal kinsmen as they resisted the impact of central authority. It charts the fortunes of the major clans, their conflicts and the persecution of Clan Gregor.