British & Irish History: C 1500 To C 1700
BIC code: HBCL
See also: History & Archaeology
- Add to BasketPreaching, Word And Sacrament: Scottish Church Interiors 1560-1860
- Hardback - T & T Clark
The first detailed study of Scottish post-Reformation church interiors for fifty years.
- Add to BasketThe Politics Of Religion In The Age Of Mary, Queen Of Scots: The Earl Of Argyll And The Struggle For Britain And Ireland
- Paperback - Cambridge University Press
This study examines how British politics operated in practice during the age of Mary, Queen of Scots and explains how the crises of the mid-sixteenth century moulded the future political shape of the British Isles.
- Add to BasketPrincelie Majestie: The Court Of James V Of Scotland, 1528-1542
- Paperback - John Donald
James V created for Scotland an exuberant and cosmopolitan court, which imitated the Renaissance courts of France and England. This text examines the factors that led to the creation of this court, such as the use of royal patronage.
- Add to BasketPolitics And War In The Three Stuart Kingdoms, 1637-49
- Paperback - Palgrave Macmillan
This text interweaves the narrative threads in each theatre of conflict to provide an holistic account and analysis of the wars in and between England, Scotland and Ireland from the Covenanter Rebellion to the execution of Charles I.
- Hardback - Scottish Cultural
Maisie Steven has taken a selection of material from the massive 20 volumes of Sir John Sinclair's 'Old Statistical Account' and presents here a remarkable and unique insight into the lives of Scottish peoples from every kind of background and tradition.
- Add to BasketPuir Labourers And Busy Husbandmen: The Countryside Of Lowland Scotland In The Middle Ages
- Paperback - Birlinn
Exploring the new way of life brought to the Scottish medieval countryside by feudalism, the threat of revolution, & the spread of Benedictine monasticism, this book focuses on farming, peat extraction, woodland management, malting, baking & brewing.
- Paperback - Osprey Military
This text details the privateer captains of the golden age of 'state-sponsored piracy' - men such as John Paul Jones, Jean Lafitte, and Benito de Soto. It includes episodes such as Bonhomme Richard's epic battle with HMS Serapis.
- Add to BasketThe Prophecies Of The Brahan Seer
- Paperback - Constable
Coinneach Odhar, the Brahan Seer, was known for a string of prophecies concerning the Highlands. This revised edition contains a commentary which expands on the original text and examines how far each prophecy has been fulfilled.