History & Archaeology
There were 1807 items found.
Showing page 163 from 181
Showing page 163 from 181
- Add to BasketThe Book Of The Bagpipe
- Hardback - Appletree
The Book of the Bagpipe charts the history of the pipes from their origins in ancient times, right up to the present day.
- Add to BasketCircle Of Light: The Catholic Church In Orkney Since 1560
- Paperback - John Donald
Alison Gray reconstructs the story of the Catholic Church in Orkney in this text. From the pre-Reformation Church, through the years of oppression, the story move to the gradual re-acceptance of Catholicism in the 19th and 20th centuries
- Add to BasketDoon The Watter: A Century Of Holidays On The Clyde
- Hardback - B & W
The authors present a unique collection of photographs from the archives of the Herald in Glasgow depicting life doon the watter. This is a nostalgic look at the way we used to live, as well as a journey around the seaside towns of the Clyde.
- Paperback - Mainstream
Few cities in the world abound with so many extraordinary stories as Glasgow. This book offers a collection of stories about the city, with subjects ranging from footballers to criminals.
- Add to BasketA History Of Scotland
- Paperback - Penguin
This classic history of Scotland by Professor J.D. Mackie traces the progress of the Scottish nation, from Duncan, first king of a united Scotland, through the Wars of Independence, the Reformation, and the Jacobite risings, to the modern day.
- Add to BasketIn The Wake Of The Vital Spark: Para Handy's Scotland
- Hardback - Johnston & Bacon
Para Handy, skipper of the Clyde puffer Vital Spark, was the funniest creation of his author, Neil Munro. This book takes you on a nostalgic trip down the Clyde at the turn of the century, in the heyday of the Firth.
- Paperback - Alloway
Ayr, celebrated in the poem by Robert Burns, has been a settlement for over 800 years. This book contains a brief history of the town, accompanied by many black and white photographs.
- Paperback - Scottish Cultural
This book covers a broad spectrum of topics concerning the history of Rothiemurchus during the last 500 years.
- Add to BasketSavour Of Scotland: A Photographic And Gastronomic Tour Of Scotland A Century Ago
- Paperback - Lindsay
This text describes an imaginary tour through 19th century Scotland, and is illustrated with many old photographs of Scottish people and places. A selection of traditional recipes adds a gastronomic perspective to the tour.
- Add to BasketTales And Traditions Of The Lews
- Paperback - Birlinn
The author's pot pourri of local history, myth and legend and essays on the people, places and traditions of Lewis covers the period from prehistoric times to the present day. The result is a scholarly yet highly entertaining historical reference work.
Related BIC Categories
- British & Irish History
- British & Irish History: BCE To C 500 CE
- British & Irish History: C 1000 To C 1500
- British & Irish History: C 1500 To C 1700
- British & Irish History: C 1700 To C 1900
- British & Irish History: C 500 To C 1000
- British & Irish History: First World War
- British & Irish History: From C 1900 -
- British & Irish History: Postwar, From C 1945 -
- British & Irish History: Second World War
- Flags & Insignia
- History Of Ideas, Intellectual History
- History Of Specific Racial & Ethnic Groups
- History Of Specific Subjects
- History: Theory & Methods
- Local History
- Maritime History
- Oral History
- Rank & Titles
- Roman Britain
- Social History