Literary History & Criticism
There were 564 items found.
Showing page 40 from 57
Showing page 40 from 57
- Number And Geometry In Shakespeare's Macbeth: The Flower And The Serpent
- Hardback - Floris
In the Renaissance world, artists, writers and architects often composed their works according to numerical and musical harmonies. This book studies the patterns and rhythms of 'Macbeth,' with the author claiming to have found the hidden structure in the play.
- David Daiches: A Celebration Of His Life And Work
- Hardback - Sussex Academic
David Daiches was the first Professor of English at the University of Sussex. This title includes essays on his literary achievements in the areas of Scottish Literature, the Novel, Poetry and New/Historical Criticism and the American connection, and the academic as populariser, by distinguished scholars and critics.
- Gothic Literature
- Paperback - Edinburgh University Press
This title examines how the gothic has developed in different national contexts and in different forms, including novels, novellas, poems, and films.
- Matthew Fitt's But N Ben A-Go-Go
- Paperback - Association for Scottish Literary Studies
The 'Scotnotes' booklets are a series of study guides to major Scottish writers and texts frequently used within literature courses, aimed at senior secondary school pupils and students in further education.
- Northern Lights: A Poet's Sources
- Paperback - Polygon
Many of the places, people, legends and seasons that formed Brown's vision and work are presented here, with poems appearing among the prose. Included are memoirs of his parents, friends and passing strangers with legends and stories of the places.
- Sherlock Holmes And A Question Of Science
- Hardback - Hadley Pager Info
This title provides an account of the wide range of scientific knowledge and observation that Sherlock Holmes could bring to bear in solving the various murders and mysteries so eloquently developed by his creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Scotland, Ireland, And The Romantic Aesthetic
- Hardback - Bucknell University Press
- Searching For The Secret River
- Paperback - Canongate
Shortlisted for the Booker Prize and awarded the Commonwealth Writer's Prize, the story of William Thornhill and his journey from London to the other side of the world has moved and exhilarated many readers. 'Searching for the Secret River' tells the story of how Grenville came to write this wonderful book.
- Scotland's Books: The Penguin History Of Scottish Literature
- Paperback - Penguin
Stretching from the earliest written monuments during the Roman Empire to the thriving world of modern Scottish imaginative writing, this title is packed with research on some of the best works of a literature that extends far beyond the borders in which it was written.
- Irvine Welsh
- Paperback - Palgrave Macmillan
Morace provides students with an introduction to the work of Irvine Welsh, that places his fiction in historical and theoretical context. It explores Welsh's biography, his impact on contemporary Scottish fiction and the cultural relevance of the 'Irvine Welsh phenomenon'.
Ordering and View
Related BIC Categories
- Children's Literature Studies: General
- Collections & Anthologies Of Various Literary Forms
- Literary Studies: 16th To 18th Centuries
- Literary Studies: 19th Century
- Literary Studies: Classical, Early & Medieval
- Literary Studies: From C 1900 -
- Literary Studies: General
- Literary Theory
- Literature: History & Criticism
- Novels, Other Prose & Writers
- Novels, Other Prose & Writers: 16th To 18th Centuries
- Novels, Other Prose & Writers: 19th Century
- Novels, Other Prose & Writers: From C 1900 -
- Plays & Playwrights: 16th To 18th Centuries
- Plays & Playwrights: 19th Century
- Plays & Playwrights: Classical, Early & Medieval
- Plays & Playwrights: From C 1900 -
- Poetry & Poets
- Poetry & Poets: 16th To 18th Centuries
- Poetry & Poets: 19th Century
- Poetry & Poets: Classical, Early & Medieval
- Poetry & Poets: From C 1900 -
- Shakespeare Studies & Criticism