Scottish Children's Book Awards Shortlist Announced
The shortlist for the Scottish Children's Book awards was announced on Monday 25th June. The three books in each category will be sent forward to face a jury of children from across the country. The overall winners will be announced on March 7th 2013 (World Book Day).
Bookbug Readers Category 3-7 years:
- The Day Louis Got Eaten by John Fardell
- Jack and the Flumflum Tree by Julia Donaldson, Illustrated by David Roberts
- Solomon Crocodile by Catherine Rayner
Younger Readers Category 7-11 years:
- Out of Depths by Cathy MacPhail
- Soldier's Game by James Killgore
- The World of Norm: May Contain Nuts by Jonathan Meres
Older Readers Category 11-16 years:
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- The 13th Horseman by Barry Hutchison
- The Prince Who Walked with Lions by Elizabeth Laird
- Add to BasketThe 13th Horseman
- Paperback - HarperCollins Children's
13-year-old Drake is quite surprised to find the Horsemen of the Apocalypse hanging out in his garden shed. He's even more surprised when they ask him to join them. At first he is reluctant to join them and help usher in the Armageddon but it soon becomes clear that to save his life Drake will have to become death.
- Add to BasketCode Name Verity
- Paperback - Electric Monkey
Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat; one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. But when a vital mission goes wrong, one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war.
- Add to BasketOut Of The Depths
- Paperback - Bloomsbury
Tyler Lawless has an unusual and sometimes scary gift. She is able to see dead people. And sometimes they speak to her, asking for her help. When Tyler is sent to a new school because her so called 'storytelling' about seeing dead teachers gets her into too much trouble, she is hoping to make a fresh start.
- Add to BasketSoldier's Game
- Paperback - Kelpies
Ross discovers that his great-grandfather Jack played for Heart of Midlothian football club in Edinburgh - before being sent to the trenches of the First World War.
- Add to BasketSolomon Crocodile
- Paperback - Macmillan Children's
Poor Solomon is looking for some fun, but no-one wants to play. The dragonflies tell him to buzz off, the storks get in a flap, and the hippo? Well, the less said about the hippo, the better! But then somebody else starts causing trouble - and for once it is not Solomon.